Before getting on a jet ski:
- Take a boater safety course – Florida law requires that anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 to either have successfully completed a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating education course or have passed a course equivalency or temporary certificate examination and have in their possession a boating education ID card and a photo identification card before operating a vessel with a motor of 10 HP or more.
- Know the laws of your area regarding jet skis.
- Read the owner’s manual. Be familiar with the vessel that you are riding.
- Check the weather forecast.
- Check fuel and fluid levels. Make sure you have enough gas to get home.
- Check your vessel for loose wires, damage, etc… before departure.
- Charge your battery.
- Ventilate your engine compartment by opening it.